There are two words you won’t often hear in a sentence: vegan pizza. But thanks to the rising awareness of more planet-friendly eating habits, a new era of dining options in the city is rapidly spreading. The sleek yet simple Chinatown space of Virtuous Pie has become our go-to destination for plant-based pizza in the city, so when they reached out about doing a collab, we jumped on it.
The folks behind Virtuous Pie are passionate about pizza and committed to using only B.C.’s finest. They partner with local growers and suppliers, use nut cheeses exclusive to their restaurants and team up with local breweries and wineries. Since opening their first location on Main Street in 2016, they’ve won over both vegans and non-vegans alike, adding three new locations including UBC, Portland and soon Toronto.
Incorporating 33 Acres of Darkness into the recipe makes the cauliflower so tasty you could technically eat it without pizza. Your call. 3ND
1 POUND CAULIFLOWER, CUT INTO 2-3 INCH PIECES
6 OUNCES CHICKPEA OR TEMPURA FLOUR
1 TSP. PAPRIKA
1 TSP. ONION POWDER
1 TSP. GARLIC POWDER
1 TSP. KOSHER SALT
1 TSP. COARSE BLACK PEPPER
8 OUNCES OF 33 ACRES OF DARKNESS
1. Preheat oven to 450F . In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except cauliflower until mixture is smooth and ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Add cauliflower to beer mixture and toss gently; working in small batches to ensure the cauliflower doesn’t break, until everything is fully coated.
3. Carefully place battered cauliflower on a pan-sprayed parchment lined baking sheet, making sure the cauliflower is not overcrowded.
4. Place cauliflower in oven for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Toss cauliflower with your favorite BBQ, Sweet Chili, or Hot Sauce.
6. To assemble pizza, roll out dough on pizza stone or baking sheet, par-bake for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven, toss cooked cauliflower on pizza and drizzle with your favourite vegan ranch! 3ND
Note: you will need store-bought pizza dough or if you’re feeling ambitious, you can make your own.